Friday, October 21, 2011

[CE]2nd earthquake - aftershock - rattles Bay Area

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/21/BAJM1LKI5A.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea

An earthquake and an aftershock, both on the Hayward Fault near Berkeley, rattled the Bay Area on Thursday, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
The first quake, with a preliminary magnitude of 4.0, struck at 2:41 p.m. The second, a 3.8, was at 8:16 p.m.

I felt both of them: One at school during fifth period, another one at home and I were sitting right in front of my computer. During the class, Mrs. Captipovic thought it was a truck, but her thoughts met with fierce opposition of the whole class. Everyone yelled “No it is definitely an earthquake!” Mrs. Lara later on proved that we were right. Although all of us knew that it was an earthquake, none of us hide under the table. This happened to me at the second quake too. I was on Facebook when it started to shake. It was a longer one. My dog walked in my room and hide behind my legs; unlike me, keeping the same pose from the beginning till the end. I must be the first one who dies during the earthquake. Facebook was spam by wall posts about earthquake again. Dongho’s wall post was hilarious. He wrote “I hate this country! I am going back to Korea.” Forty people liked it.

It may be a good thing that small earthquakes happen. It releases the energy so that the big one will not happen. I hope it is not a sign of the end of the world because I spend most of my life in school and have not got a chance to enjoy my life yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment